Friday, June 3, 2011

Whale Wars


I never took an interest in the program Whale Wars on the Animal Planet channel. The main reason being I didn't want to subject myself to seeing whales harpooned and slaughtered. The other reason being just simple overload with reality programs and not really sure if this particular program would be worth watching. But the idea of seeing whales slaughtered was what really kept me away.

The new season started Friday night and the run-up to that included a marathon all day of episodes from the previous season and then an episode that recapped all of the seasons.

I began watching it almost by accident, but it only took a moment to become hooked. For the entire flippin day. Seriously, that is all I watched all day Friday.

I was entranced and in love. In love with these brave warriors some would call eco-terrorists. Brave not only because of the conditions they put themselves in but also the cause of protecting sea life (that is internationally protected by law) and also because they use very non-violent means to do so (although they can be aggressive). I mean it isn't like they are wading into the fray with machine guns and rocket launchers. They are using stink bombs and their wits.

I have the utmost respect for them and in many ways daydream about being on one of the boats hurling stink bombs or dropping a line to disable the propellers of a whaling ship. Or perhaps cutting their drift lines or running interference to save a whale.

I would never make it as a crew member I know, maybe I can support them otherwise. Beyond that all I can say is, God bless these people.

No comments: