Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Old treasures

I have been going through some old boxes of mine, tonight mainly collections of books and journals and writings from college.

What an eye opener! The books I read (and didn't read) and all of the other detritus from a past life.

But also the writings. I won't pat myself on the back and say I am impressed with previous writings I did, but only say I am definitely going to hang onto them and am inspired to write again. I have always wanted to start up writing again. Not for any hope of becoming a successful novelist really, but just to have a body of work that I like, maybe some others will like. Something I can point to and say, 'I did that'. Not necessarily a legacy, just something I can have. Something creative.

So tonight I started. I started off a story I wrote way back in college. It has lots of possibilities. Although in the intervening years some of my imagined story lines have already been done. I know I am creative enough to take the idea in new directions.

I love this idea, the creative process. I have no conception of where it might lead. Probably just for my own journal, maybe sharing with a few friends. But still, it is a good outlet.

Old treasures become new.

No comments: