Thursday, September 1, 2011

UCC minister is flat out wrong

This particular article is making the rounds among my church friends and they all seem to be falling over themselves in drooling admiration of it.

UCC Minister dismisses unchurched


I for one find it repugnant.

While I understand her point, I also find her commentary/response not only harsh but irresponsible.

I have been that person she speaks of. And saying I am spiritual but not religious isn't someone being lazy necessarily, perhaps it is someone saying it out of fear. Fear of organized religion. Fear of any number of things. And some of those fears are justified.
I find this article quite harsh and to be honest very unnecessary to an overall conversation of how we express ourselves as Christians.

For example, perhaps I am someone wanting a connection with God, but yet afraid of organized religion and I express myself in this way to this particular minister on a plane flight. And then she decides to move seats to sit beside a Christian she finds more acceptable. What would then be my impression of not just organized religion but Christianity? She moved seats to be near someone she could hold hands with and sing kumba ya, dismissing me entirely? Seriously? Is this lady that arrogant?

This particular minister is being dismissive and irresponsible with this article. I hope if she has any crisis of faith other people aren't so dismissive of her.

I don't want anything to do with her line of thinking.

No comments: