Monday, November 22, 2010

A parishioner I visit

A parishioner I visit at my current placement site was admitted to the cancer ward at the local university hospital.

He was homebound, having suffered first years ago from a massive stroke from which he had to relearn almost every single, simple function of life. And once he did that and was on his feet and living on his own and independent, well then, he was struck with what is turning out to be terminal cancer.

I have prayed for him and with him. The incredible thing is, his spirit has not broken. Not one bit.

His hope lives on. I don't know if due to his previous condition of dealing with the massive stroke he is able to comprehend what is really going on. But you know what? So what?

He lives, he has spirit and is fighting. This latest setback is pretty big and I have yet to process it myself.

I know in my visits with him, he has given me more than I could possibly give him. I know God is with him right now.

I pray.

I hope.

And in the end, God is with him and with us all.

My heart is heavy regardless.

No comments: