Saturday, August 27, 2011

First weekend

My first weekend away from home is drawing to a close.

My reflections aren't yet crystal clear due to the fact I feel as if I am still recovering from my sickness. Nothing major at this point, just some general tiredness, lethargy etc.

But life here seems to be much more active on Friday nights. Saturday night has been extremely quiet. I know everyone may not be on campus yet, but still. That seems to be the rhythm so far and I understand it. Sunday is when everyone goes to church and I'm sure many people are going off to serve in a congregation or perhaps some form of outreach.

It is a weird dynamic. One I don't mind, in fact if this is truly the way things are I think I will like it. I want to 'do things' on the weekend to be sure, hang out, be in community, go out, have cocktails, whatever. But having the sense so far that everyone here isn't partying is refreshing and reassuring. Sort of lessens the pressure to feel like I need to be out and about. That having a quiet night to oneself is ok.

Just some initial observations. Things may indeed change once the academic year gets into full swing.

No comments: