Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Kung fu outside

Tonight my martial arts class was held outside at a local park. I knew the park and knew it'd be a royal pain getting there during rush hour and I was not disappointed.

Apparently I chose the completely wrong route to class and ending up being late despite leaving 20 minutes early.

Regardless, this was a somewhat new experience for me, having only had two previous martial arts classes outdoors and neither of them in a public park.

Thankfully there weren't any gawkers, just a hispanic family having a picnic in the shelter and some frat guys having a friendly game of something, cornhole, miniature golf? I'm not sure.

Class itself started off pretty standard, given the grass, wildly uneven ground, rocks bumps and everything else to throw me off. And to add in I was wearing extremtly old shoes that had lost all sense of padding.

The only part that really struck me was at one point towards the end of class, in fact near the very end, our instructor was giving some pointers, adding some advice and giving general advice in terms of practice, spirituality and what not. He was framed by the sunset fading over the trees. Something I won't soon forget. Pretty meaningful. I wish I had taken a picture.

Cool stuff.

No comments: