Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Great Vigil of Easter

Tonight I attended the Great Vigil of Easter service at church. Two years ago this was the service where I was baptized. I was originally told back then it was the greatest service in the church year and the church would be packed and the service would last at least two hours etc.
Well, to be honest it didn't live up to it's billing. And last year I was running the sound so I didn't really connect with what was going on.
Tonight, I wasn't optimistic but I went. Considering it's supposed to the highlight of the year for the church and all. I was ok starting out, nothing special. But I have to admit something happened midway through. I won't go so far to say anything drastic, but it was special.
The service starts in darkness and moves into light. As we have been in Lent and dwelling darkness. And especially since Good Friday where we have been dwelling in death, lonliness and whatnot. The Vigil of Easter is special.
Like I said at the beginning, I wasn't quite sure about this one, even skeptical. As it began and continued I was ok, but still not moved. We sat in darkness with our candles, listening to the Old Testament readings. Then the lights came on and everything was supposed to be glorious. I did find my glory though. As we moved from darkness into light I realized the bonds, the weight, the cross even, that we were all supposed to bear for the last 40 days, were gone now. We were free, we could be happy, even rejoice in church and not have to kneel and grovel and ask for forgiveness. When I realized that, I could barely keep myself from smiling and indeed almost laughing out loud at the joy I felt. Thank God it's Easter!
Right now I'm worn out and would love to sleep in tomorrow, but I still feel the need to get up to back to church. Not just because Tom's sister might be going and is expecting my phone call but because it completes the cycle.

No comments: